Vucic, Thaci hold meeting in Washington

Vucic, Thaci hold meeting in Washington

Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic said last night that his meeting with Kosovo President Hashim Thaci in Washington was “as usual”, adding that Serbia is waiting for the removal of customs tariffs “to discuss more essential matters”.

In addition to the Serbian President and Kosovo President, the meeting was also attended by US Special Envoy for Pristina dialogue Richard Grenell and President Trump’s National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien.

The President of Serbia reiterated that in the coming days “tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow” there will be a new withdrawal of the recognition of Kosovo’s independence, adding that Serbia has not agreed to put an end to its Kosovo recognition recall campaign, noting that recognition efforts will be stopped if Kosovo stops seeking recognition and stops applying for inclusion to international organizations.

For his part, Hashim Thaci informed through his personal Facebook account that the meeting was held at the invitation of Richard Grenell.

The President of Kosovo, thanking the US for their continued support, added that he would inform the members of the National Assembly in Pristina on Wednesday or Thursday of his contacts in Washington and in particular about the meeting.

In an interview with Free Europe Radio, Thaci said that the meeting discussed “the need for a peaceful resolution of the Kosovo-Serbia issues” and “the possibility of reaching a final agreement”, which he described as “fair and constructive”.

Concerning the suspension of the Belgrade-Pristina dialogue, he said there is good will between the two sides to move things forward. Thaci added that the conclusion of the dialogue should be concluded “as soon as possible, with a final agreement, which entails nothing more or less than mutual recognition, under the present territorial integrity”.

“We do not have time to lose and we certainly need to work closely with our partners”, Thaci told Free Europe, adding that he had no confidence in the EU’s ability to facilitate a final agreement. “Now we have an offer from Washington and we have to move forward”./ibna