It is a time for joint actions to address the situation after Crans-Montana, the government spokesman Nicos Christodoulides said today, noting that this is the strong conviction of the President of the Republic of Cyprus.
In a statement to reporters at the Presidential Palace after the National Council meeting under the presidency of the President of the Republic Nicos Anastasiades, the Government Spokesman said that “there was a long and constructive discussion that took over four hours.
I have heard the statements of the heads or representatives of the political parties. First of all, to mention that this is not the time for accusations or confrontations. In addition, many of what have been heard are conflicting and essentially mutually exclusive.
It is time – and this is the strong conviction of the President of the Republic – for joint actions to deal with the situation after Crans-Montana, summarized in the fact that there was not a result due to Turkey’s persistence in the Treaty of Guarantee, intervention rights, in military presence in Cyprus.
It is, at the same time, a time for common actions to address turkish plans designed to serve communicative or other purposes that are definitely unrelated to the solution of the Cyprus problem, but are aimed at expanding the occupation and create a new fait accompli.
It is, in this context, that the Government is working on very concrete measures. Some of these have been mentioned by the President of the Republic, especially with regard to the EU agent. At the same time, he has called on the parties to make concrete suggestions in the context of dealing with the turkish planning”.
Asked whether these measures would be reactionary measures or there would be investment in the EU, the spokesman said that “it is one of the fields that we will utilise – not the only one of course – to prevent the Turkish plans.
As far as the talks are concerned, the invitation/challenge of the President of the Republic has been publicly known for a week now. There is so far no response from the Turkish side and it confirms what the President of the Republic said about what transpired in Crans-Montana, but also what to do to resume the talks on the Cyprus problem”.
Asked about the meeting of President Anastasiades next Thursday with the UN Secretary-General’s Special Adviser on Cyprus, Espen Barth Eide, the Government Spokesman said that “the meeting is expected to be short, it will be the last meeting, and a farewell, but there will certainly be a substantial discussion and the President of the Republic will repeat this position”.
Invited to comment when the Eide report will be completed, Christodoulides said “possibly in the first 10 days of August”, adding that everyone knows what happened in Crans-Montana “and there is nothing that worries us”.
On a question on specifics of the Guterres framework, the spokesman said that “under Guterres, there were six points. From them only in one – the Security and Warranty chapter and the withdrawal of the army – there was a specific position from the Secretary General. In all other parameters, at the other five points, the Secretary General described the positions that were heard, his own summary of what he had heard from the two sides. Why wasn’t there a result in Crans-Montana? There wasn;t a result because, very simply, Turkey deviated from point 1 of the Guteners framework tjhat dealt with the issue of Security and Guarantees”.
In a journalist’s observation that AKEL’s Secretary General says this is not the view of the international factor, the Spokesperson said that at the recent meeting of the President of the Republic with Eide, “it was made clear, through the very specific questions submitted by the President and the answers he received from Mr Eide, why there was not a result in Crans Montana”.
He added that when the Turkish Foreign Minister, Mevlut Cavusoglu, publicly challenged the EU’s High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Federica Mogherini, to take position that the collapse is due to the positions of the Greek Cypriot side, “we all saw that [Ms Mogherini] did not confirm this”.
Asked how the National Council is proceeding, the Government Spokesman said that there will be a new session of the National Council in September, adding that “what we hope for is as soon as possible to receive very specific suggestions, which of course we will process to further strengthen the context of the Republic of Cyprus’s response to Turkish plans”.
Asked to refer to the measures that the Government will take, Christodoulides said that “when the final list of measures is implemented and executed, then they will be announced. What is important is the effectiveness of these measures and not to be publicly known before they are executed and thus to weaken their effectiveness”, while in a follow up question, he said that these are preventive measures and measures to prevent the turkish planning.
“The Government must, with utmost seriousness, manage the state of affairs. This is not the time for confrontations”, Christodoulides stressed.
Finally, asked whether there was a response from the American Pentagon on the issue of the Turkish NAVTEX, he said that “so far, the briefing from both the US Department of State and the US Department of Defence is that no directive was requested, as Turkey has done.
At the same time, many US vessels are in the region due to the developments, especially in Syria. We expect within the day to have more specific and more comprehensive information from the US side”, Christodoulides said./IBNA