Sydney: Greek origin wife of the perpetrator of the bloody hostage situation taken in custody

Sydney: Greek origin wife of the perpetrator of the bloody hostage situation taken in custody

Sydney, December 23, 2014/ Independent Balkan News Agency

By Spiros Sideris

The pre-trial detention of the wife of the perpetrator of the bloody hostage situation that took place last week, decided yesterday the court in Sydney. She is the Greek origin Amirah Droudis (former Anastasia Droudi), who embraced Islam in recent years and was the companion of Iranian cleric Man Haron Monis, who was killed by police gunfire when they stormed the cafe where he was holding the hostages. Earlier, two of the hostages had lost their lives in a tragic manner.

Amira Droudi is accused of murdering Monis’ ex-wife, Noleen Hayson Pal. According to the indictment, the Droudi stabbed and burned the unfortunate woman by order of Monis, who had been accused of being an accomplice to the murder. They managed to convince the court, however, and were not imprisoned. Amira Droudi paid USD 100,000 bail and was required to appear regularly at the police station.

After the hostage situation last week, which shocked the international community, and Australia i nparticular, Justice Minister instructed for the case of Droudi to be reviewed. The court, studying all new evidence ruled that Droudi is an “unacceptable risk” to the community and ordered her pre-trial detention until February 22 when she will once again face justice.

Among other things, the authorities examined videos of 2009, in which Droudi allegedly promoted the views of Monis and express their support for the attack on the Twin Towers in New York. It was argued in court that Droudi appeared keen to promote the positions of Monis and that her views have not changed. Judge Henson said that the videos are not related to the custody of Droudi.

A host of journalists awaited Droudi outside the court, but she did not make any statements. Only her foster brother, John Aspros, who accompanied her told reporters: “leave us alone”.

The premier of New South Wales, Mike Baird, expressed his satisfaction with the current court decision.