Skopje applies for EU aid after the floods

Skopje applies for EU aid after the floods

Skopje, February 18, 2015/Independent Balkan News Agency

By Naser Pajaziti

Authorities in FYR Macedonia have applied today for EU aid after the floods that affected a part of the country. Yesterday in a news conference in Brussels, Macedonian journalists sought explanations as to why Albania was the only country to be helped for the floods.

Catherine Zay, spokeswoman of the European Commission said that government authorities in Skopje had not demanded aid. “We have allocated 118 thousand Euros for Albania, but FYROM has not asked for aid. However, we’re closely following the situation in this country after the floods and we will react should there be a need. This country must apply for aid”, said Ray.

The European Integration Secretariat said today that it has addressed to the European Commission with a request for aid in order to face the consequences of floods. This issue has also been discussed in yesterday’s meeting with Deputy PM for European Integration, Fatmir Besimi with EU Enlargement Commissioner, Johannes Hahn.

So far, Serbia has allocated 50 thousand Euros worth of aids for the floods that affected the southeast of FYROM. /ibna/