Romania: Iohannis condemns violent incidents at anti-lockdown protests

Romania: Iohannis condemns violent incidents at anti-lockdown protests

In a message on Tuesday, Romanian President Klaus Iohannis condemned extremist and xenophobic violence and demonstrations that occurred during Monday’s protests. The president also condemned the “attempt to politically exploit the protests” in order to turn them into “propagators of hatred, xenophobia and anti-Semitism”. He said he understood the Romanians who were unhappy after a year of restrictions, however “these measures are the only thing that can help us reduce the spread of the coronavirus.”

House Speaker Ludovic Orban said on Tuesday that he did not understand the demands of those who took to the streets in protest of the restrictions. The PNL leader claims the restrictions are necessary and were not taken “for the sake of measures.”

Clashes erupted during protests in Bucharest on Monday against the government’s restrictive measures to tackle the third wave of the pandemic. “End the pandemic!” – Protesters shouted on the second day of protests against the new restrictions imposed during the pandemic.

Security forces fired tear gas at protesters, who attacked them with stones and other objects injuring several police officers. About 100 protesters were arrested.

Similar rallies took place in cities across Romania where the night ban applies from 22:00 to 05:00. The government imposed tougher restrictions late last week. Most of the protesters, without keeping physical distance or wearing masks, accuse the government that the measures adopted have already affected the economy, but also social life. /ibna