North Macedonia: Former UBK Commander Sašo Mijalkov wanted by Police

North Macedonia: Former UBK Commander Sašo Mijalkov wanted by Police

As of Sunday afternoon, the Police of North Macedonia are on the hunt for Sašo Mijalkov, former director of the Security and Counterintelligence Service (UBK) of the Gruevski administration, after the court issued a house arrest decision until the decision of the “Target-Fortress” case is announced on February 26. Mijalkov is the main defendant in this case and in her statement prosecutor Lence Risteska called for the maximum sentence.

At the request of the public prosecutor, the Criminal Court issued a house arrest warrant for Sašo Mijalkov. Police have been searching for Mijalkov since yesterday afternoon at his Kapishtec apartment, his home in Vodno and the Marriott Hotel, where Mijalkov last appeared at around 2pm in the District Café, near the Marriott Hotel.

Following the final positions of both the defense and the prosecutor’s office, the verdict in the “Target-Fortress” case is scheduled for February 26, in which 12 people are accused and Mijalkov is the main defendant. He is accused of running a criminal organization, abuse of power and bribery for illegal influence, the last of which expires at the end of February.

“Although these are crimes for which a maximum sentence of up to 5 years is provided, still taking into account the consequences of a crime and the impact it has on people’s lives as a result of illegal interceptions in their communications and its impact on society as a whole , we believe there is no impediment for defendants Sašo Mijalkov, Goran Grujevski and Nadica Nikolic as founders of the group to be sentenced to the maximum prison sentence for each of the crimes they are charged with,” prosecutor Lence Ristoska told the court last week.

During the hearing on February 19, Mijalkov stated that the illegal phone monitoring in the country from 2008 to 2015 was not carried out by UBK services. He alleged that he did not participate in the interception of telephone conversations and the destruction of the communication surveillance equipment. As he claimed, there were other eavesdropping systems in the country, besides those of the UBK.

So far, there have been no indications that the former head of the secret police Sašo Mijalkov would attempt to flee, thus highlighting the need for the issuance of a central arrest warrant. He regularly attended all court hearings and had prepared his defense. Whether he escaped will obviously be known today.

On social media, outraged citizens fear that the incident with Nikola Gruevski, who fled to Hungary, where he was granted asylum by local authorities, could be repeated.

For Mijalkov’s possible escape, VMRO-DPMNE leader Hristijan Mickoski demanded the resignation of the government by posting the following message on Facebook:

“I said a long time ago that the mafia has its own state. There is no bottom they haven’t reached. Resignation of the Government immediately!” Mickoski posted on Facebook.

VMRO-DPMNE had ousted Mijalkov from its ranks and the current party leadership had presented it as one of the most important steps in the party’s cleansing and as a kind of purge.

By decision of the court, Mijalkov was deprived of his passport a long time ago and is on the list of “no exit” from the country, which means that he can not leave the country through the official border crossing points. /ibna