MoI in FYROM will sanction organizers and participants in the conflicts in Syria and Iraq

MoI in FYROM will sanction organizers and participants in the conflicts in Syria and Iraq

Skopje, August 17, 2014Independent Balkan News Agency

By Naser Pajaziti

Minister of Interior in FYROM, Gordana Jankulovska declared that all organizers of groups and individuals who encourage and recruit people with the aim of going to fight in Syria, Iraq or Afghanistan, will be sanctioned.

She said that the Ministry of Interior has proposed amendments in the criminal law in order to incorporate the sanctions for the participants in the recent conflicts in Middle East and other foreign conflicts.

“I personally think that there’s room to further strengthen the regulation, meaning, to define a new criminal offense or extend the current one, which provides sentences for people whose participation in such acts is proven”, declared Jankulovska.

The reaction of the minister followed that of the Islamic Religious Community of Macedonia, which demanded this institution to seriously address the brainwashing of believers who go to fight in open conflicts.

“We have demanded from government authorities to help us by respecting the law, but they haven’t done their job. There are warnings and suspicions for activities of religious recruitments”, declared a few days ago the head of the Muslim Community, Sulejman Rexhepi.

Minister of Interior said that there’s no official information about the number of nationals from FYROM who have participated in the conflicts in Middle East and Northern Africa.

So far, 4 nationals have been declared dead in the conflict in Syria. They were fighting on the side of insurgents. /ibna/