Macedonian opposition decides to address to the court

Macedonian opposition decides to address to the court

Skopje, May 15, 2014/Independent Balkan News Agency

By Naser Pajaziti

Macedonian opposition has decided to file a lawsuit at the Administrative Court, against the Parliament’s decision to verify the mandates of the opposition MPs. The lawsuit follows the decision of these MPs to give up on their mandates, due to the fact that they had not recognized the early parliamentary elections of April 27.

Macedonian Social Democratic League (LSDM), which is the main opposition force, said that it has prepared all necessary paperwork to file a lawsuit at the Administrative Court, because according to this party, every MP is entitled to accept or refuse his mandate.

“We will demand a temporary measure to stop the legal action which relates to this decision that has been taken by the verifying commission of the parliament, which verified the mandates of the opposition MPs”, said the leader of LSDM, Zoran Zaev.

According to him, opposition MPs are entitled to refuse their mandate, as it’s been the case with several mayors in 2011 belonging to the party in power, VMRO-DPMNE.

“But it looks like such thing is not valid today. We gave up on our mandates, while someone manipulates the public by saying that opposition MPs are receiving their salary”, said Zaev. He has also criticized a part of pro government media, which have written today that opposition MPs are receiving their salaries, although they gave up on their mandates, following the decision not to recognize the elections.

Macedonian opposition gave up on the mandates of 34 MPs by signing a notarized declaration. Last week, parliament verified their mandates, although they were not in the hall. Speaker of parliament, Trajko Veljanovski said that the verification has been made in accordance to the Constitution and parliament’s regulation. /ibna/