Belgrade, October 12, 2016/Independent Balkan News Agency
By Milos Mitrovic
After the death of the eight-year old boy, Serbian health minister Zlatibor Loncar has ordered the firings of director and surgery department head in hospital in Loznica, 147 kilometers southwest from Belgrade. Radenko Nikodinovic passed away on Saturday, after he broke his arm while playing on the slide.
According to boy’s parents, Dobrivoje Bojanic, the physician who treated Radenko had been persistently underestimating his condition. As a result the boy died due to sepsis, and the whereabouts of Bojanic, who went on vacation, are unknown.
Loncar said that the investigation has revealed serious omissions in treating Radenko in Loznica hospital. “I have checked the results, and they are not good. What was needed to be done was ignored”, he added explaining the decision of the sackings.
In his words, the medical association will decide on the revocation of Bojanic’s license. “The police and prosecution will also do their job”, he added.
Loncar recalled that, due to different omissions, 30 physician licenses have been revoked so far and announced that the best national medical experts will visit hospitals in Serbia every week.
Earlier this week, prime minister Aleksandar Vucic has said that “somebody has to bear the consequences” for the boy’s death. “This is the last warning to the health minister and everybody else. Something like this must not happen. I know that there are similar cases in the world, but this must not occur in Serbia”, Vucic said.