Gov’t to comply with court ruling suspending Gezi Park’s demolition if appeal fails

Gov’t to comply with court ruling suspending Gezi Park’s demolition if appeal fails

 

The government will comply with a court decision that suspended the demolition of Gezi Park, the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) Spokesperson Hüseyin Çelik said in the early hours of June 14, following a late night meeting between the Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and delegation of 16 representatives of the protesters in Ankara that lasted nearly four hours. Erdoğan held a surprise meeting for a second consecutive day with a new delegation that comprised members of the Taksim Solidarity Platform, which had been at the centre of the protests since the first day, and eight artists that had been outspoken in their support for the demos.

Referring to a court ruling on the suspension of the planned Artillery Barracks project that is set to be built instead of Gezi two weeks ago, Çelik said that in the case that the appeal failed, the site would be kept as a park. In the case the project received green light from the appeal instance, Çelik said that the government wished to organize a referendum regarding Gezi Park’s fate.