Government spokesman Stelios Petsas began the briefing of the political authors by announcing the results of the visit of the President of the People’s Republic of China Xi Jinping to Greece.
In addition to attracting Chinese investments and increasing the flows of Chinese tourists in our country, the Prime Minister is also working to open up the huge Chinese market for Greek products, including, of course, agricultural products.
He then spoke of the 16 agreements. Specifically:
- Treaty for the extradition of wanted persons. It promotes effective cooperation in the criminal field and aims at suppressing crime on the basis of mutual respect for sovereignty, equality and mutual benefit.
- A list of Key Projects within the 2020-2022 Cooperation Framework, which constitute a quasi-mandate for Chinese state-owned companies to consider their participation in them.
- Memorandum of Understanding to promote two-way investment cooperation that further encourages bilateral cooperation in the investment sector and in general between companies of both parties.
- Protocol between the Ministry of Rural Development and Food of Greece and the General Customs Administration of China on the export to the Chinese market of Greek Saffron (Krokos Kozanis).
- Protocol extending the possibility of exporting Greek kiwi from all parts of the country to the Chinese market.
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Secretariat-General for Communication and Information and the National Broadcasting Authority of China with a view to enhancing bilateral cooperation in the fields of radio, television and electronic audiovisual media and developing cultural and technological relations between the two.
- Memorandum of Understanding on Cooperation in the Field of Sports between the Ministry of Culture and Sport and the Chinese Federation of Persons with Disabilities, with the aim of developing cooperation between the communities of disabled in the two countries and promoting initiatives within the international sports federations for the exchange of experiences and the fight against doping.
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Air Services of the Hellenic Republic and the People’s Republic of China
- Agreement on the establishment of the Center for Chinese Studies between the Chinese Academy of Social Studies and the Aikaterini Laskaridis Foundation for the teaching of Chinese language and the promotion of Chinese culture.
- Agreement to establish an annex of the Confucius Institute of China at the University of Thessaly.
- Memorandum of Understanding on the implementation of the COSCO Master Plan to make Piraeus Port the largest in Europe.
- Announcement for the establishment of a Bank of China Branch, the 4th Largest Bank in the world, in Athens.
- Announcement for the establishment of a Representative Office of the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, the world’s largest bank, in Athens.
- Agreement for the expression of Chinese interest in participating in the tender for the interconnection of mainland Greece with Crete.
- Cooperation agreement for the realization of the MINOS 50MW project in Crete, which seals the cooperation between the two countries in renewable energy sources and ensures the transfer of technology for the production of electricity in Crete.
- A set of financing contracts for the funding of the COSCO investment program in the port of Piraeus by the European Investment Bank with guarantees from the State Export-Import Bank of China.
All this shows that Greece is now considered a confident country, that once again finds itself at the heart of European and international developments./ibna