Employment of domestic workforce for construction of Montenegrin highway to start

Employment of domestic workforce for construction of Montenegrin highway to start

Podgorica, March 4, 2015/ Independent Balkan News Agency

By Adnan Prekic

The Chinese company CRBC who got a job on the construction of the highway through Montenegro, has announced the first contest for the reception of the local workforce. Competitions were announced for engineers, surveyors and experts to examine the quality as well as competitions for translators. When signing the contract Chinese company had announced that they plan to fill many jobs with the local workforce. The Montenegrin government therefore expects that the highway will be an opportunity to employ domestic workforce besides the involvement of domestic construction firms.

Company CRBC requires engineers for construction of roads and bridges, geodetic engineers and laboratory and quality assurance engineers. Candidates should have a Bachelor degree, while a Masters degree is desirable. Candidates should have a Montenegrin engineering license, registered with the competent local authorities. It is necessary that the candidate has a minimum of ten years of engineering experience with significant practical knowledge. CRBC also searches for mining engineers, with Bachelor or Masters degree in this field.

They also need tunneling engineer with a Bachelor degree in construction, geotechnical or structural engineering, while candidates with a Master degree are preferred. CRBC is also looking for a translator, with a minimum Bachelor degree in English language, while a Masters is desirable.

In September, China’s Exim Bank approved a loan worth around 687 million euros to Montenegro for construction of the Bar-Boljare highway’s priority section Smokovac-Uvač-Mateševo. Exim Bank’s preferential loan is to provide 85% or 689 million euros of the amount, whereas the remaining 15% (120 million euros) has to be provided by Montenegro. The construction works on the priority section can be expected to start by the end of 2014.

In July 2013 the government of Montenegro selected the Chinese consortium: China Communications Construction Company, and the China Road and Bridge Corporation, as the best bidders for the construction of the Bar-Boljare highway, which is the priority section of the route. The offered price for the construction of the priority part of Montenegro’s greatest infrastructural project was 809.58 million euros.

Montenegro is the only country in the region that does not have a single kilometer of highway. Construction of the highway after the restoration of Montenegro’s independence was marked as one of the most important national projects. The tender for the construction of the highway was announced in 2008 and in October 2009. The Prime Ministers of Montenegro, Serbia and Croatia have officially cut the ribbon for the construction of the highway. A section was supposed to be build by the croatian company Konstruktor, which however was unable to provide a bank guarantee for the completion of the project, which was the reason why the whole deal fell through.

The highway from Bar to Boljari is 169.2 kilometers long. This will be one of the most expensive highways per km in Europe, due to the tunnels, bridges and viaducts that will make up over 40% of its total length. This highway construction is the greatest engineering construction project in Montenegro and one of the biggest projects being implemented in the European market. The route will require the construction of 42 tunnels, 92 bridges and viaducts. The average daily, or annual traffic on the existing road from Bar to the border with Serbia, in certain sections ranges from 5,100 to 8,300 vehicles with distinct seasonal annual intensity that reaches up to 20,000 vehicles.