Belgrade, June 17, 2016/Independent Balkan News Agency
By Milos Mitrovic
Dragan Kecman, the head of Belgrade city police is dismissed and according to unofficial claims, the reason is the illegal demolishing of the buildings in the downtown in April, Serbian media report. Kecman was appointed in early 2015 by Interior Minister Nebojsa Stefanovic who said, at the time, that he would “contribute to speeding up investigations”, RTV B92 recalled.
Unnamed sources told B92 that there will be more dismissals.
On April 24, overnight masked persons demolished several buildings in the center of Belgrade using bulldozers and detaining witnesses; the demolishing occurred at the place where “Belgrade waterfront” – real estate project financed by United Arab Emirates – should be built in years to come.
Stefanovic and Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic initially claimed they didn’t know who was responsible. But earlier this month Vucic blamed “top city officials”, at the same time defending mayor Sinisa Mali.
Media speculated that Mali would be dismissed.
April incidents provoked protests, but Vucic has condemned “harangue” against both Mali and Stefanovic. The media close to Vucic has accused U.S. and EU for organizing the protests.
Ombudsman SasaJankovic said that police did not react on the citizens’ complaints during the demolition. Jankovic claimed that top police commanders were responsible.
NIN weekly, in Wednesday’ edition, marked Stefanovic as the main responsible.
“The responsibility of the city heads is undoubtable. But the problem is that this is not enough. Such an action could not be possible without the knowledge and assistance of the Interior Minister”, NIN stated.
Stefanovic announced that he would sue the weekly. “The NIN front page and article in it is nothing but another monstrous and scandalous claim and publishing of notorious lies about me”, Stefanovic said.
Photo: Minister NebojsaStefanovicat the police parade