Nicosia, August 13, 2015/ Independent Balkan News Agency
By Kyriacos Kyriacou
Security forces in the occupied north insist on building an alternative route for a crossing point in Dherynia because a Greek Cypriot protester had been killed in the area and it would be used for propaganda, a Turkish Cypriot newspaper reported on Thursday.
Daily Kibris said security forces were worried that Greek Cypriots would use the point for propaganda, but Famagusta initiative activist Serdar Atai dismissed the suggestions as ‘excuses’.
“We do not want to hear the military’s excuses anymore,” he was quoted as telling Kibris.
Atai said he has already conveyed this view to UN Special Adviser Espen Barth Eide during their last meeting.
He said that they expect an agreement to be reached on the route of the crossing point by the end of August.
Solomos Solomou was shot dead on August 14, 1996, after he climbed a flagpole to remove the Turkish flag.
It was during a protest that followed the funeral of his cousin, Tasos Isaak, who was beaten to death in the same area three days earlier, by Turkish extremists and uniformed Turkish Cypriot security officers.
Opening a crossing point in Dherynia was decided by the leaders of the two communities in May. Its opening has been demanded by Greek and Turkish Cypriots residents of the area. The two leaders also decided to open a new crossing in Lefka-Apliki in the west.