By Adnan Prekic – Podgorica
Police claim that they solved the bombing of the newsroom’s most influential daily news “Vijesti”. The explosives were set on December 26, 2013, in the editorial of the newspaper, which is known for its harsh criticism of those in power in Montenegro. The bomb was placed under a window at the office of the newspaper’s editor in chief, but other than property damage no one was injured. After a two-month of investigation, police have arrested, Marka Sofranca (22) and Nemanja Vukmirovića (21), on suspicion of having planted a bomb.
In an official statement, the police said that after a two-month investigation inspectors have gathered enough evidence and discover who planted the explosive of great destructive power under the office window of editor in chief, but they haven’t determined about the motive behind the attack. Two young men are in custody and the public in Montenegro is expecting to be revealed who ordered the bombing. The young men who were arrested recently are not the only ones behind the attack on the editorial “Vjesti”, stated the Montenegrin Prime Minister, Milo Djukanovic. He said that the attacks on the media does not only involve the criminals who are the perpetrators, but also those who are, as the prime minister called them: “lost in the system of state authority.”
Chief Editor of “Vijesti”, Mihajlo Jovovic, said that after the last bomb attack on the “Vijesti” there was intense pressure from the international community on the state leaders to solve the case. No matter who the perpetrators were, for me and my colleagues it is critical to uncover and condemn the person who ordered this and other attacks. Only then I will accept that the country has the political will to do something about it, which so far I haven’t noticed, says Jovovic.
The European Commission has repeatedly warned the authorities in Podgorica to solve all the attacks on the media. The last message from Brussels came from Dirk Lange, Representative to Montenegro in the Directorate General for Enlargement of the European Commission. He associated the results of Montenegro in Chapters 23 and 24 with the resolution of the cases of attacks on journalists. Lange said that the European Commission wants to see the right steps be taken in practice, in order to shed light on cases of attacks on journalists. Attacks on media freedom and journalists are seen as an attack on democracy, said Lange.
The bomb attack on the editorial news is the last in the series. The assets of the newspaper was often the target of attacks. Over the past year several cars ware burned in front of this editorial. In recent years there have been several physical attacks on journalists and media outlets who had criticised the Government. The most serious unresolved attacks on journalists took place 10 years ago, on May 2004, in front of the editorial “Dan”, which resulted in the loss of chief editor Dusko Jovanovic’s life.