Albania: Rama’s Socialist Party leads IPSOS poll with 49.5%

Albania: Rama’s Socialist Party leads IPSOS poll with 49.5%

To a question on who will win the April 25 elections, 44% of citizens believe Edi Rama and the Socialist Party will emerge victorious, according to a survey conducted by the Marketing and Public Opinion Research Company (IPSOS) published on Thursday afternoon by Top Channel, which took place from 10 to 16 February this year.

According to the poll showing Edi Rama’s Socialist Party ahead with 44%, Lulzim Basha’s Democratic Party (PD) receives 24%, Monika Kryemadhi’s Socialist Movement for Integration (LSI) party 2%, 1% believe another party will win the election, 24% answered Don’t Know, while 5% refused to answer.

When asked who they would like to lead the country, 39% of citizens responded in favor of acting Prime Minister Edi Rama and 29% chose the leader of the Democratic Party Lulzim Basha. 22% answered Don’t Know, while 9% refused to answer.

If elections were to be held this Sunday, according to the IPSOS poll the Socialist Party (SP) would garner 49.5%, the Democratic Party (PD) 39.3%, and the Socialist Movement for LSI membership 5.1%. Thurje Initiative would follow with 1.7%, the LDSH with 1.4%, while the rest of the parties would receive less than 1%.

While 56% of citizens believe Prime Minister Edi Rama responded well to the situation with the COVID-19 pandemic, 38% of citizens believe he mishandled it.

When asked about the state management of the post-earthquake crisis, 23% of citizens expressed their full support for the government in terms of earthquake management and 30% support it somewhat, with positive attitudes amounting to 53% in sum. On the other hand, 29% do not support it at all and 12% somewhat do not support it, with the total percentage of dissenters accounting for 40% in total.

Oliviero Marchese, Director General of IPSOS Electoral Research, said Rama had performed well in the COVID-19 pandemic, based on the results of the survey.

When asked how they assess the government’s work in dealing with the biggest problems facing Albania today, 16% responded very well and 40% quite well, with a total of 56% of participants praising the government. Overall, 39% answered negatively for the government, with 16% answering rather badly and 23% answering very badly.

When asked how they would evaluate the work of the opposition in dealing with the biggest problems facing Albania today, 7% consider it very good and 27% quite good, with the total percentage of positive attitudes being at 34%. 33% answered the same question very badly, while 21% answered quite badly.

When citizens were asked what the three most important problems facing Albania at the moment are , 41% answered the economy/economic crisis, 36% unemployment, 22% the COVID-19 pandemic, 22% health, 17% corruption, 13% low pensions and wages, 11% education, 10% infrastructure, 9% poverty, 8% immigration, 7% justice, 6% high prices and taxes, 6% political situation, 5% security, 4% water and electricity, 3% earthquake, 2% governance, 15% chose something else and 5 % refused to answer.

In this survey, 1,527 citizens over the age of 18 participated from 12 regions across the country. /ibna