On Tuesday the funeral of the former President of the Republic of Cyprus
By Michalis Michael
What both Demetris Christofias and I have recognized is that above all is humanity and mutual respect, the Cypriot President of the Republic, Nicos Anastasiades, said today.
In statements to reporters after his return to the Presidential Palace from AKEL, where he signed the book of condolences, which the party opened for the former President of the Republic Demetris Christofias, President Anastasiades said that “at such moments, when man realizes that this is his course, or the end of our lives, that, in other words, we all at some point will emigrate, any feelings of bitterness that may have occurred at any moment are set aside. That is why I think we all need to be- not just in the hours of crisis, like the present one- much more gentle, much more tolerant, much more humane, much more conscious. That it is the duty of us all, even through our differences, to find ways of understanding for the greater good.
As I wrote in the book of condolences for the farewell of Dimitris, History is what judges each of us, and not the human emotions that may prevail from moment to moment. And I wish that History, which is impartial, also for Demetris Christofias as leader of the Left, as a political man, as Speaker of the House and of the State, to be fair and positive.”
In a journalist’s observation that the two Presidents had similar paths, President Anastasiades said, “Of course, we were both leaders of the youth of our parties. We may have been in different camps, there may have been times of ‘acidity’ in our relationship, but what he and I have both recognized is that humanity and respect are above all.”
The funeral is on Tuesday
Speaking to ‘Astra’ radio station, AKEL’s Secretary General, Andros Kyprianou, announced that the funeral will be held on Tuesday at 17:00 at the Holy Temple of God’s Wisdom in Strovolos. A public mourning has been declared by the Cabinet since Friday, lasting until next Tuesday, the day of the funeral of the late President of the Republic Demetris Christofias. The funeral will be a public expenditure and with the honours of the present President. These decisions were taken at the extraordinary meeting of the Council of Ministers held at the Presidential Palace, and chaired by the President of the Republic Nicos Anastasiades, according to a Presidency announcement. After the meeting, the Government Spokesman Prodromos Prodromou told reporters that the Cabinet decided at today’s extraordinary session:
- a) That the funeral of the former President of the Republic of Cyprus, Dimitris Christofias, will be honoured with the present President of the Republic of Cyprus.
- b) To declare public mourning from today until the day of the funeral. During mourning, the flags in all public buildings and schools will be lowered at half-mast in tribute.
- c) To declare the funeral day, Tuesday 25 June 2019, a public holiday.
- d) To open a book of condolences at the Presidential Palace which the Members of the Diplomatic Corps and the State Officials can sign.
- e) To allow, like the President of the Republic, the members of the Cabinet, the Deputy Ministers and the Government Spokesman to sign the condolence book.
- f) To open books of condolences in all diplomatic missions of the Republic.
- g) To approve the following text, which will be deposited in the book of condolences, and will be signed for the deceased former President of the Republic:
“With heavy heart we say goodbye to the former President of the Republic of Cyprus, Demetris Christofias and we honour his offer to the homeland of Cyprus from his posts as MP, the President of the House of Representatives and the President of the Republic.”
- h) That the President of the Republic and the Council of Ministers will attend the funeral, which will be public expenditure, at the Holy Temple of God’s Wisdom, in Strovolos, on Tuesday June 25, 2019 at 5 pm.
- i) To postpone all official state events, during public mourning./ibna