All you need to know about the Balkans
In English

Retail trade grows in Cyprus 0.8 and 3.9% in December 2016 on monthly and annual basis

Retail trade grows in Cyprus 0.8 and 3.9% in December 2016 on monthly and annual basis
 

In January 2017 compared with December 2016, the seasonally adjusted volume of retail trade fell by 0.1% in the euro area (EA19), while it rose by 0.1% in the EU28, according to estimates from Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union. In December the retail trade volume decreased by 0.5% in the euro area and by 1.0% in the EU28. In January 2017 compared with January 2016, the calendar adjusted retail sales index increased by 1.2% in the euro area and by 1.5% in the EU28.

Data for Cyprus concern December 2016, when the monthly volume grew by 0.8% and the annual by 3.9%.

According to the monthly comparison by retail sector and by Member State, the 0.1% decrease in the volume of retail trade in the euro area in January 2017, compared with December 2016, is due to falls of 0.2% for non-food products and of 0.1% for “Food, drinks and tobacco”, while automotive fuel rose by 0.8%. In the EU28, the 0.1% increase in the volume of retail trade is due to a rise of 0.7% for automotive fuel, while “Food, drinks and tobacco” and non-food products both remain stable. Among Member States for which data are available, decreases in the total retail trade volume were observed in Germany and France (both -0.8%), Belgium (-0.6%) as well as the United Kingdom (-0.4%), while the highest increases were registered in Finland (+4.4%), Poland (+4.1%) and Slovenia (+3.2%).

Following an annual comparison by retail sector and by Member State, the 1.2% increase in the volume of retail trade in the euro area in Januarys 2017, compared with January 2016, is due to rises of 2.2% for non-food products, of 0.6% for automotive fuel and of 0.3% for “Food, drinks and tobacco”. In the EU28, the 1.5% increase in the retail trade volume is due to rises of 2.7% for non-food products, of 0.8% for automotive fuel and of 0.3% for “Food, drinks and tobacco”. Among Member States for which data are available, the highest increases in the total retail trade volume were observed in Slovenia (+15.4%), Luxembourg (+8.8%) and Lithuania (+8.5%), while a decrease was observed in Germany (-0.4%)./IBNA

Source: Cyprus News Agency

Share with your friends: